How do I give feedback or make a complaint about an NHS service?

Most NHS care and treatment goes well but sometimes things can go wrong. If you are unhappy with your care or the services you have received, it is important to let us know so that we can improve.


There are two ways to tell the NHS what you think:


• Give feedback

• Make a complaint


Before you leave us feedback, check to see if we have already answered your question in the FAQ's section.


Giving feedback


Feedback helps us improve the quality of your care.


You can give good or bad feedback by telling the NHS organisation or service about it. For example, you can do this through the ‘Friends and Family Test’. You can fill out our Contact Form or, you can speak to a member of staff. Other ways to give feedback should be clearly displayed at the service you visit.








If you are unhappy with an NHS service, it is worthwhile discussing your concerns early on with the provider of the service, as they may be able to sort the issue out quickly. Most problems can be dealt with at this stage but, in some cases, you may feel more comfortable speaking to someone not directly involved in your care.


Complaints and comments:

Our aim is to provide the highest level of care for all our patients. We are always willing to hear if there is any way you think that we can improve the service we provide.


Making a complaint:

If you have any complaints or concerns about the service you have received from the doctors or staff working for this practice, please let us know.


We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned. If your problem cannot be sorted in this way and you want to make a complaint,  we could like you to let us know as soon as possible - ideally within a matter of days or at most a few weeks - because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily. If it is not possible to do that, please let us have details of your complaint:

· Within 12months of the incident that caused the problem; or

· Within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem.


The practice manger will be pleased to deal with any complaint. They will explain the    procedure to you and make sure that your concerns are dealt with promptly. You can make your complaint:

·In person - ask to speak to the Practice Manager

·In writing - some complaints may be easier to explain in writing—please give as much   information as you can, then send you   complaints to the practice for the attention of the Practice Manager as soon as possible.

What we will do


Our complaints procedure is designed to make sure that we settle any complaints as quickly as possible.


We will acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days and aim to provide a response within 10 working days of the date you raised it with us, if we are not able to resolve your complaint within this time scale we will let you know why and advise you when you may expect a response. We shall then be in a position to offer you an explanation, or a meeting with the people involved.


When we look into your complaint, we aim to:

· Find out what happened and what went wrong

· Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this

· Make sure you receive an apology, where appropriate

· Identify what we can do to make sure the problem doesn't happen again.


At the end of the investigation which is carried out by the Practice Manager and a GP or another health care professional, your complaint will be discussed with you in detail, either in person or in writing.


Complaining on behalf of someone else


Please note what we keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have his or her permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this.

What you can do next:


We hope that, if you have a problem, you will use our practice complaints procedure. We believe that this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and the opportunity to improve our practice.


However this does not affect your right to approach the local Primary Care Trust if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us or you are dissatisfied with the way we are dealing with your complaint. The Complaints Manager is based at NHS North of Tyne, and provide confidential advice and support , helping you to sort out any concerns you may have about the care we provide and guiding you through the different services available from  the NHS.


Write to NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

Telephone 0300 311 2233, e-mail


If you remain dissatisfied at the end of this local resolution process you can put your      complaint to the Health Services Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can carry out independent investigations into complaints provided through the NHS in England.


If you have any questions about whether the Ombudsman may be able to help you contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or e-mail or fax  020 7217 400 or you can write to them at:


The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower





This Policy meets with NHS Criteria

Further information about the Ombudsman can be found on


Should you require any direct help or advice making your complain you can contact your local Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS):



Churchill House

12 Mosley Street

Newcastle upon Tyne


Tel: 0845 120 3732


ICAS provides independent advocacy to people making their complaint under the NHS  complaints procedure.


Help us get it right:


We constantly try to improve the service we offer.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions as to how we can do something better.


For public health services complaints


Contact the Local Government Ombudsman



The NHS Constitution sets out your rights as a patient, and explains the commitments the NHS has made to providing you with a highquality service. Organisations providing NHS care must take account of the NHS Constitution when treating you, so you may find it helpful to refer to it if you are thinking about making a complaint.


Go to the-nhs-constitution-for-england for details.


Useful contact details


To find the contact details for your local Healthwatch,



or call Healthwatch England on 03000 683 000


Citizens advice Phone: 03444 111 444



Primary care complaints (for example, GPs, dentists)


NHS England PO Box 16738 Redditch,

B97 9PT.


Phone: 0300 311 22 33


Secondary care complaints (for example, hospitals) 


To find information about your local clinical commissioning group, visit NHS Choices at